1/05/2009

husbanding innovation.

Malcolm Gladwell has typically brilliant things to say here in his new book about society’s “Outliers” – those real innovators that create and are successful at building companies... Check out what my good friend, David Brooks has to say in his 12/16/08 NY Times column:


“In Gladwell’s account, individual traits play a smaller role in explaining success while social circumstances play a larger one. “I am explicitly turning my back on, I think, these kind of empty models that say, you know, you can be whatever you want to be. Well, actually, you can’t be whatever you want to be. The world decides what you can and can’t be.”

Tell me something that I don’t know…

The Dali Lama says not to judge or compare yourself to anyone else; it will only make you crazy... But if you MUST look back – do it in five year increments and see how far you have come. I see back further: to my great grandmother on the prairie – 120 years ago. It was before women got the vote or had the right to own property.

My great grandmother on the Nebraska prairie had three choices when her husband died in the 1890’s for supporting 7 young sons:
1. a teacher
2. a practical nurse
3. undertaker for women

My mother went to USC on a full ride scholarship from Oklahoma 65 years ago - who cares if she had to submit with her application a glamorous coed picture, (She was a great beauty…) she got an equally great education. She supported herself as a self-employed CPA for 50 years; she took the opportunities offered to her.

I clearly have it better, e.g. more options. I am not whining.

Society still tells me now, as it told my mother, grandmother and great grandmother before her, what I can be but I have to buy into it for it to be effective in thwarting me.

What do we ask of society as entrepreneurs? We ask for a collective open mind which creates real opportunites for success.

see related posts:

1. Intro: why i am an entrepreneur?
a. you just read it (husbanding innovation)
b. How can I /we be more successful at it e.g. killing our albatrosses

No comments:

Post a Comment